Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Teaser Tuesday: Whuh-Whuh

|
Teaser Tuesday is hosted every week by Miz B @ Should Be Reading. You are asked to: Grab your current read. Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12. And don't forget to share the name of the book! This serves as a great, quick source for recommendations.

I'm currently reading The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips, and it is very good so far. I'm just sad I fell asleep while reading last night, otherwise I probably could've finished it! To give a synopsis in one sentence, it's about life in rural Alabama during the Great Depression.

My teaser comes from page 78, at which point the Moore family is attending church.

"During prayer, all you could hear was those paper fans whuh-whuhing through the air, and the old men hacking up phlegm. (I asked Papa about that one time and he said it was the mines that did it, made your spit hard and solid where it caught in your throat...)"

I can't wait to finish reading this one!

3 comments:

Susan said...

I LOVE the "whuh-whuhing!" That's a great line. I've got a couple of good teasers this week. Here's a link.

J.T. Oldfield said...

Yeah onomatopoeia!

Cecelia said...

Those lines seem very real, like solid things that might have happened to me at some point. I love the descriptive wording. Great teaser!

You can check out mine here.