Monday, August 3, 2009

Southern Reading 2009 Challenge

|
The Southern Reading 2009 Challenge is hosted by Maggie over at Maggie Reads. The deal is to read three fiction or non-fiction southern books between May 15th and August 15th, 2009. I'm starting late and only have a couple weeks to read the books, but I saw the word 'southern' and I have to participate in anything related to my homeland. It's too good to pass up!

I've been meaning to post this for a couple weeks, but I wasn't sure if I was going to take on the challenge or not. However, the New York Public Library pulled through and I have possession of all three books I plan on reading. So, now it's time to get down to business by taking a break from Buffy season 2 DVDs (sad)!

My three books are:
  1. The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips - I won this as a LibraryThing Early Reviewer, but due to a FedEx mishap, I never actually received it. I wanted to read it, though, and thanks to the library, it's on my list.
  2. Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison - National Book Award finalist...seems worthy of my time.
  3. Crazy in Alabama by Mark Childress - adding some humor to the mix. I hear it's better than the movie.
Wish me luck!

3 comments:

J.T. Oldfield said...

You should get bonus points for two of your titles having Southern states in them. ;)

Kari said...

Ha, I checked both of those out from the library today, and I was wondering what the librarian was thinking. I know they judge people by their books!

maggie moran said...

Best of luck! I have Bastard here and am dying to read it! I've heard it is tough - dirty south - tough.