Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Teaser Tuesday: I'm Down!

|
Teaser Tuesday is hosted every week by Miz B @ Should Be Reading. You are asked to: Grab your current read. Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12. And don't forget to share the name of the book! This serves as a great, quick source for recommendations.

I am currently reading I'm Down by Mishna Wolff, a quirky memoir about a poor white girl growing up in a poor black neighborhood with a white dad who truly believed he's black. Cringe-worthy awkwardness ensues!

My teaser is from page 5 as Mishna is setting the scene of her life.

"Instead I got my dad, sitting around playing dominoes with four large black men, who were all apparently my uncle, and who agreed that the only way to discuss affirmative action was—at the top of your lungs. They also thought kids were beer-fetchers crossed with remote controls and that there was something seriously wrong with my rhythm."

2 comments:

Salvatore said...

Nice, especially the 'at the top of your lungs'. An amusing image.

Elena said...

I would read this book just for the front cover :P

In other news, I gave you guys an award:

http://withextrapulp.com.au/?p=325