Thursday, September 17, 2009

BBAW: Books I Will Never Read

|
Today's post prompt for BBAW asks something along the lines of: What book have you been inspired to pick up after reading about it on a book blog? Well, I've added many books to my 'to read' list after reading reviews from other book bloggers; that's my favorite part about book blogs! But I can't think of any specific one I've actually gotten around to reading that stands out as deserving of this post.

However, there are SEVERAL books I am inspired to never ever read thanks to the reviews or comments by bloggers, and I've been thinking more about those lately. So I am answering this question with a twist, because that's just how I roll. And I think it's more fun!


New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn — My 28-year-old Twilight-fan of a boss lent this to me for an upcoming weekend roadtrip, insisting it was a good read. I wasn't particularly excited about reading it, but I like to read the really popular things to find out what all the fuss is about. Also, I often possess an unnatural affection towards teen and tween-geared entertainment (ie: High School Musical), so I tried to read with an open mind (though I refused to read it on public transportation or in front of strangers who could judge me). It was a good quick roadtrip read, but holy god, BARF. Bella is an annoyingly weak character, and Meyer's reinvented vampires are ridiculous (sparkle? Really?). After reading on a blog that the later books in the series involve crazy sex, parasitic fetuses, and vampire abortions, I just laughed and said, "Of course they do." And I'm sure her tween audience ate that shit up. I know I would find these books absolutely terrible, but I'm unsure as to which is worse: these books or their movie versions with the two most boring, brooding actors on the face of the Earth. Just consider me a Buffy girl for life.


Catching Fire — The week this came out, I pretty much just marked everything in my Google Reader as "read." EVERYONE seemed to review this, which made for really boring blog reading. Also, it made me so sick of the damn cover art. I'm sure it's great and all and I realize that I am not giving it a fair chance, but overexposure turned me off. I refuse to read on principle.


J.M. Coetzee — Jackie @ Farmlane Books reviewed Coetzee's Summertime. It was a great review, but I have a history with Coetzee, one that is not pretty. During my Sophomore year of college, my friends seemed to go through a Coetzee phase, and I tried to hop on board. Mostly I tried to hop on board with the ulterior motive of impressing my now-boyfriend (yes, books were my means to an end), and I tried to like Coetzee so we could have inspiring literary discussions. But I can't like him. He looks like a very nice man, and I know he deserves a great deal of literary merit, but he bores me to DEATH. Jackie's review just released all those pent-up feelings about Coetzee and reminded me I should never read him again. You got me, Coetzee. I give up!



Any books you just can't wait to never pick up?

15 comments:

Salvatore said...

JM Coetzee?! That's piercing my heart. 'Summertime' is a fantastic book, and his fiction project has been a brilliant one. But I can understand...I guess...

Good question. I'm going to have to ponder if there are any books I have no interest in reading.

Rebecca Reid said...

I like your take on this....nice and creative.

I likewise have no desire to read the Twilight books, and most reviews of popular fiction just make me sure I dont' want to read it. But I am intrigued by the first of the series for Hunger Games.

I read one Coeztee and I enjoyed it. Which one(s) did you despise so much, or is it just in general? I can understand authors that do that. I can't think of any off hand to me, but I know there are.

Unknown said...

Now, I love vampire novels (Dracula by Bram Stoker being my all time favourite) and I did read the Twilight series apart from Breaking Dawn, which I will also read, but I completely understand what you mean. I am much more in favour of a kick-arse protagonist (I'm a Buffy girl too) than the weak and drippy Belle. I did enjoy the books but I certainly wouldn't put them in the category of 'my favourite books'.

I haven't read The Hunger Games/Catching Fire, but I will do at some point i'm sure. As for Coetzee, I've haven't read anything so can't really comment on him.

Great twist to this meme. It was really interesting :)

Kari said...

Rebecca - I don't even know what the Hunger Games are about! I am definitely not giving those a fair chance...maybe someday I'll read them!

In terms of Coetzee, I don't have a hatred for him or any of his books. His books just bore me. I've read Boyhood, Elizabeth Costello, Disgrace...probably a couple more I can't think of right now. It's complete personal taste and opinion; I would never consider him a bad writer. Sorry, Sal...I know you're cringing at the very idea...

Elizabeth said...

Love your take on this - and let me urge you to be strong on the Twilight mania. It's a soul-sucking experience.

I am not reading any more books by Phllipa Gregory. I don't care if The White Queen is her best work in years, or if her take on Mary Queen of Scots in unique and enlightening - I've officially had enough.

J.T. Oldfield said...

I won't touch Twilight with a ten-foot pole.

Also, I've never cared for Coetzee.

Salvatore said...

I can't pick up Don DeLillo anymore. Libra and Mao II and whatever else I haven't read, I won't touch it. I've always been disappointed with the experience.

Kristen said...

::giggle:: ::snort:: I am highly entertained by this post. I often find that so many of the books that get this kind of hype are the ones that disappoint me the most. They might have come off as adequate if I hadn't been prepped to read "the best book ever" before I picked it up. I have nread neither Twilight nor The Hunger Games although own both as my children asked for them.

As to Coetzee, I read his Waiting for the Barbarians yonks ago (also at the instigation of the boyfriend of the moment) and have to say I have neither ever forgiven said ex-boyfriend nor have I ever had an urge to pick up another Coetzee no matter how appealing the cover copy might seem.

Anonymous said...

I like how you added your own twist. Add me to the boat of those who never want to read any of the Twilight books.

Unknown said...

LOL! I love your twist on this! I am going to attempt another Coetzee, but probably only Disgrace because of the Booker prize. I think I'll avoid all his other books.

Colin said...

Foer! Read both of his and I must have missed the memo explaining why people think his work is good.

One book I wish I could avoid is Dan Brown's new one. I don't want to read it, but I know I will. How could I miss such an important cultural touchstone? Maybe I'll get it on my work Kindle--I think he only gets 10 cents towards his advance with those copies. Stick it to the man!

Elena said...

You have echoed a lot of my own sentiments! except that I'm yet to read Coetzee. Maybe one day...

Belle said...

I like your twist on this prompt! I don't think there've been any books I've decided not to read, but I haven't read either Twilight or Hunger Games/Catching Fire yet. Twilight has been in one of my TBR stacks for over a year now - I just haven't felt motivated to pluck it out and read it. And I've never been that fond of dystopian fiction, so despite the really strong reviews, I'm just not sure I would enjoy Hunger Games or Catching Fire.

Jenners said...

I felt the same way about Twilight ... I was totally prepared to HATE it but ended up getting sucked in ... to my eternal shame and guilt. Total guilty reading pleasure. Perhaps it helps to be a housewife of a certain age without a hot lovelife ... that is what this book provided for me. :0

Kari said...

Jenners - Ha! I was semi-scared about the same thing happening. I certainly have gotten sucked into enough guilty pleasure things, but this just wasn't one of them!