Monday, July 27, 2009

Monday's Musings

|
Lots of fun things to start off the week!

First of all, we earned our first award! Thanks to J.T. @ Bibliofreak for awarding us with the Kreativ Blogger award. Upon receiving the award, one must list seven things and seven blogs (s)he likes. I'm not the only voice on here, but since the other writers can't edit my post with their lists (at least I don't think they can), this will have to do!

I like:
  1. Summer (I spend 8 months of the year waiting for the 3 best ones)
  2. Sitcoms (except Everybody Loves Raymond and The Cosby Show)
  3. Fountain Coke (cans and bottles, ick)
  4. the South (homeland!)
  5. Road trips (anywhere, any distance)
  6. Ellen Degeneres (I can no longer watch at work due to spontaneous bouts of giggling)
  7. College football (beer and pizza on a fall Saturday is classic)
I'm going to hold off on the blog list for now, because my Google Reader is not too full.


Second of all, It's Monday! What are you reading? This weekly activity is hosted by J. Kaye.

Books I completed last week:
  • Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper
  • Julie & Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment by Julie Powell
Books for this week (so far):
  • The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster
I think my list is shorter than a lot of people's, but I can't read more than one book at a time!




Also, coming soon is the second annual Book Blogger Appreciate Week, running from September 14 - 18.  BBAW was started by Amy @ My Friend Amy to recognize the hard work and contribution of book bloggers while promoting a culture of literacy and connecting readers to books and authors. There will be guest posts, daily blogging themes, and giveaways. Anyone that blogs about books can register!


Last of all, I just had a fun observation this weekend. In the past, I've never been up-to-date on newly released books or what's "hot" at the moment; I've always created my own reading list by browsing library shelves or finding books on sale. Yesterday, however, I stopped in a cute indie bookstore called The Corner Bookstore on my way home from Central Park, and I noticed I had heard of, and even read, many of their new books on display! It made me realize how much writing for this blog and reading other blogs have improved my knowledge of the book world, and I'm pretty happy about that. So thanks for reading, and thanks to other bookworms for writing!

4 comments:

Jess said...

I am really looking forward to reading Julie and Julia as well -- did you enjoy it?

Kari said...

I did! I'm working on my review of it, because I have lots to say about it!

Anonymous said...

What did you think of Julie & Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment by Julie Powell?

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I'm not familiar with the Auster book. Hope you enjoy it!
I had a similar "book store moment" recently. Fun : )