Thursday, July 9, 2009

A History Lesson (and Contest!) for Booknerds

|
The National Book Foundation has impressed me with a very cool concept! To celebrate the 60th year of the National Book Awards, the NBF has started a book-a-day blog that will chronicle the previous 59 Fiction winners. The blog will run until September 21st, at which point you'll have the opportunity to vote for the BEST of past years and win two tickets to the 2009 National Book Awards.  

What a great way to learn about some of history's best books!



I just started Walker Percy's The Moviegoer this morning! Have you read any National Book Award winners?

3 comments:

colin said...

I've read 'Garp' and 'White Noise' recently. 'Going After Cacciato' is sitting on my desk. And I love Faulkner.

I think this project is great aside from 'All the Pretty Horses'; McCarthy doesn't do it for me.

Salvatore said...

I've read enough of them that I won't bother to list them. Although I will say that 'Sophie's Choice' is probably my favourite out of all the ones that I have read. Styron is brilliant. And unfortunately I don't think people sing him enough praise. Talk about having a lyrical style.

Although this now might be a good excuse finally to read 'The Corrections', which I've owned now for about six years. This is the second recommendation of that book I've received within an hour.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

Thanks for sharing this project with us ... I can see that my wish list for books will grow!