Friday, July 6, 2012

An interruption from the Nothing that has been regularly scheduled...

|
This blog has taken a bit of an unplanned hiatus the past few weeks. I have drafts to about five different posts started, but I just haven't had the motivation to finish them. Something about summer and my constant need/quest to be doing something outdoors, along with my vacation mentality thanks to the break from classes, has left me with zero motivation to transfer my thoughts to actual words. As you can see, I couldn't even muster up enough energy to finish my monthly Next On the List post (and yes, that was one of the drafts!).

But next week, my two week "vacation" is over (I've been in San Diego and Nashville, not really for legit vacation) and it's back to the real world. And hopefully my brain returns to New York with me, and I'll have enough focus to write on the great stuff I've been reading these past few weeks.

Coming up:
  • My long-awaited explanation on the contradictory nature of Rez Life
  • The scandal of last month's book club choice, The Bad Girl (if I can even remember it at this point!)
  • An exploration of Southern short stories in The Half Mammals of Dixie
  • Thoughts on the new Alison Bechdel memoir
  • Pining for travel and exploration with To Timbuktu
  • And the chronicle of An American Family through the latter half of the 20th century
It's easy to get behind in blogging, and sometimes it's just necessary to take a break; when you're forcing yourself to do it, that sentiment is going to come through in the way you write. It would be very easy to drop it altogether, but then I remember how much I enjoy having a sort of reading journal that I can go back to, and I remember how much deeper I explore a book when I write about it, and so I pick back up my figurative pen and paper and get back to it.

3 comments:

Aarti Nagaraju said...

Ooh, can't wait to hear what you thought of Rez Life! I'm intrigued by your blurb above and I remember you said in an email to me that it wasn't amazing but had some god parts.

softdrink said...

I never did manage to write anything about Rez Life, other than how it was interesting to read it while also reading Howard Zinn. I might've liked it more because, compared to Zinn, it was fascinating. Except for the part thats weren't. ;-)

Kari said...

Oh I will get to it eventually...haha.