Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The thermometer hit 60! Break out the books!

|
Inspired by my Wordless Wednesday photo, the unseasonably warm few days we're having here in New York, AND the fact that my beloved Daylight Savings Time begins this weekend, this post is going to be all about SPRING READING! Yayyyy!

I could probably justify each season being the best for reading in some way. In winter, there's nothing else to do, so why not snuggle up under the covers or in front of the fireplace with a good book? In summer...well, it's not called 'Summer Reading' for nothin'! Beach reads, pool reads, it's always good reading when it's in the sun. Fall...eh, I don't have much for that one. But SPRING! Spring, I think, is my favorite time to read. In the winter, I end up either falling asleep under those warm covers or just watching a movie (my viewing of TV on DVD increases dramatically during this time). In summer, I end up dozing on the beach or by the pool (sleep is a pattern with me, as you can see). But in spring, I can finally get out of the stuffy indoors and plop down on a bench in the park. Back in high school, I used to park myself on the porch swing or in the hammock and read for hours after school. It's probably the biggest thing I miss about the way of life outside of the Big Apple.

I always have a pretty good queue of books to read, but right now I feel like I have a GREAT one...just in time for what I have officially dubbed Spring Reading. On my list (and these are just the NEWEST of the great!):

  • Carolina Moon by Jill McCorkle (you know my McCorkle love, and this is only 1 of the 5 or so I have waiting patiently on my shelf)
  • The Boy Who Loved Tornadoes by Randi Davenport
  • The Bird Room by Chris Killen
  • Postcards from a Dead Girl by Kirk Farber
  • The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard
  • Crazy Heart by Thomas Cobb
  • The Old Man and Me by Elaine Dundy
  • Mrs. Darcy and the Blue-Eyed Stranger by Lee Smith
  • The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley
  • The Postmistress by Sarah Blake


Have you read any of these?

What's your favorite reading season? And what are YOU excited to read?

7 comments:

bookmagic said...

The Postmistress was sooo good! I'm looking forward to reading the Alan Bradley book soon too!

Kari said...

I'm already on the wait list for it at the library...hasn't even been released and I'm #19! That's better than the #80 or so I was for his first one. It took MONTHS to get to me!

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I hate, loathe and despise daylight saving time. We're morning people in our house, so it makes no sense to us.

Sasha said...

I really loved Kirk Farber's novel. Postcards from a Dead Girl is already listed as one of my top reads of this year. :)

The Postmistress is on my nightstand, promoted from its ranks from the TBR LandMass, due to so many people raving about it. :p

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to agree that spring is just about the best time to read. The new Alan Bradley is on my list, but unlike you, I'm absurdly far away from my name popping up on that library list.

In the meantime! I have tons of new books from Powell's to read - starting with the lovely Notes on a Scandal by Zoe Heller. (:

Anonymous said...

Just to clear something up - you love daylight savings time? This leaping back an hour so my alarm clock rudely awakes me an hour earlier!? I mean, I too love the extended evening sun, but this first work morning was painful.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on POSTMISTRESS!! I still really want to read Alan Bradley's first book (SWEETNESS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PIE), and I anticipate wanting to follow it up with his new one.

If you love McCorkle, I may have to give that a try as well....

On the spring topic, do you have a favorite outdoor place to read in sunny weather? Near Shake Shack perhaps?

Kari said...

Oh yes, I loooove Daylight Savings Time. I only "lose" an hour of sleep for one day, and it's on the weekend so I'm just going to keep on sleeping for about 10 hours anyway. So really, no lost sleep because there's nothing to get up for on Sunday. And I like that the sun didn't rise at 6am to wake me up this morning (though I know that's going to change, bc the sun seems to rise here RIDICULOUSLY early in the summer). I am not a morning person.

My outdoor place depends on where I'm at. If I'm at work and it's my lunch break, it's either Madison Sq Park or a little courtyard park on 22nd and Broadway. If I'm at my apartment, it's this grassy hill in Carl Schurz Park overlooking the East River. If I'm going to Central Park, it's Sheep's Meadow.