Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Everything Austen Challenge

|
Stephanie of Stephanie's Written Word has started a reading challenge with the simple theme of Jane Austen. Between July 1st and January 1st, all you need to do is complete six Austen-themed pieces. They can be Jane Austen books, books based on Jane Austen books, Austen movies, Austen-based movies. There are so many options depending how much you want to read or watch. This gives me a great chance to read/watch some things I always say I've been meaning to read/watch.

My picks for the next six months are as follows:
  1. The BBC's Pride & Prejudice mini-series
  2. Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley (to compare)
  3. Becoming Jane with Anne Hathaway
  4. The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler
  5. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (because I remember nothing about it from senior year summer reading)
  6. Austenland by Shannon Hale
I also want to watch Emma and Clueless to compare, but I've already seen both of them, so they're not making the official cut. My picks are subject to change if I read a review by another participant that just seems to good to miss!




5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for joining my challenge. I read Austenland last year and really enjoyed it!!

Salvatore said...

This sounds like an interesting project. Funnily enough, I read a bit of Austen in the beginning of the year - 'Northanger Abbey' and 'Persuasion'. They go rather well with Woolf's essay(s) on Austen.

I've also never seen either 'Pride and Prejudice' film.

Michelle said...

If you'd like to borrow, I own the Kiera Knightly and Anne Hathaway movies.... and a bunch of Austen books. I totally am all over this challenge!

Anonymous said...

I was lucky to get an ARC of an upcoming Austen-related novel by debut author Marilyn Brant - ACCORDING TO JANE and I loved it! I'm not even a huge Austen fan, but the book was light and witty and fun. I definitely suggest it be added to this list - who wouldn't want Jane Austen as a secret friend?!

Kari said...

Ooh I just read about it on Goodreads. Sounds fun! I entered to win the Goodreads giveaway.